Eleven p.m. and I walk into the kitchen. Set an alarm just for this. Chicken, garlic breathed in deeply. Yum.
Well now that I have a big-girl job and I am at work/on-the-road from 6:30 – 6:30 everyday, I have had to be a bit more creative with my crockpot recipes. I can’t just set it and forget it for 12 hours! So took advice from the good-ole mother and made it the night before.
This recipe is easy and really hits the spot. Note: almost all of the ingredients can be increased, decreased or omitted depending on you, your kids or your spouse’s taste buds.
- 2ish lbs of boneless, skinless chicken (uncooked, breasts/thighs – I used thighs)
- a couple stalks of celery, diced
- 1 onion (whichever color is cheapest!), diced
- 2-small cans of cream of whatever soup (I used one mushroom and one chicken)
- salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder
- your favorite chicken herb
- frozen veggies (I used 1 bag of peas, 1 bag of cauliflower/ broccoli combo and 1 bag of carrots)
- 1 can of biscuits or homemade!
- Cube chicken and season liberally with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder as well as your favorite herb to pair with chicken. Place in your crockpot.
- Add diced celery and onion.
- Mix together the cans of cream of __. I typically thin out with a bit of chicken broth or white wine. Depending on the size of your crockpot you may want more or less of all ingredients. I am using a 7 quart for this but it wasn’t full.
- Cook on low for 3 1/2 – 4 hours or 2 hours on high.
- Stir in frozen vegetables. Cook for another 30 minutes. You could easily use fresh diced carrots to the beginning of the process if you’d rather but by using the frozen you cut down on your prep work!
- Bake biscuits. I have made biscuits and used store bought. Either would work just depending on the time you have! Here is the link to my favorite biscuit recipe!
- When you’re done baking your biscuits, split one or two on top of a bowl of the filling.
It’s a pretty easy crockpot version of this classic!